What's in this article?
As the seasons change, so too should our home decor. Let’s look at eight super-easy fall home decorating ideas that help you capture the essence of autumn for your family and friends.
From the rich, warm colors of fall foliage to the natural elements that define the season, these simple yet effective tips will help you transform your living space into a cozy and welcoming haven.
Create your fall color palette
The first and perhaps the most important step in planning your fall home decorating is to create an autumn color palette that will give your space a warm and inviting feel.
Use a combination of rich and earthy hues, such as:
- Deep reds
- Burnt oranges
- Golden yellows
- Rustic browns
Simple accents off of the right color palette can effortlessly transform your home into a cozy autumn abode. Incorporate these colors into your decor through various elements such as throw pillows, blankets, curtains, and artwork to instantly infuse the spirit of the season into your living space.
Want more personalized rates?
Get customized rates tailored to your individual mortgage needs.See Today’s Rates
Use natural elements
Incorporating natural elements into your fall home decor is a great way to celebrate the season and add a touch of rustic charm.
Some popular natural elements for fall decorating include pumpkins, gourds, autumn foliage, and pinecones.
Centerpieces or mantels
One idea is to create a centerpiece or mantel display using these handy materials.
Arrange pumpkins, gourds, and pinecones on your mantel, along with some autumn leaves and branches. You can also create a “mumkin” by carving out a medium-to-large pumpkin to fit a store-bought pot of mums and placing the chrysanthemums inside.
Garlands and wreaths
DIY fall wreaths and garlands are another way to incorporate natural elements into your decor.
Create a pinecone flower wreath by cutting off the tops of pinecones and arranging them in a circular pattern.
Or make a fall floral pinecone wreath by combining pinecones with artificial flowers and greens, such as roses, sunflowers, chrysanthemums, daisies, and greenery.
Many of these natural elements can be found lying around your yard. You can’t get any more affordable than that!
As the temperatures begin to drop, adding cozy textures to your home creates a warm and inviting atmosphere.
Consider incorporating knit or velvet throw pillows in shades of terracotta orange, earthy greens, and honey-toned yellows. You can find a variety of fall-inspired throw pillows and blankets on the websites of your favorite retailers like Amazon, Society6, and The Everygirl.
Layering rugs and blankets is another way to enhance the coziness of your home. By adding rugs and mats to your living spaces, you can create a sense of depth and comfort.
Opt for thicker rugs and mats that offer more warmth and coziness during the colder months. Additionally, adding an extra blanket to your bed or sofa can provide extra warmth and comfort during the fall season.
13 easy and simple fall home decorating projects
- Cone pumpkin: For a unique and budget-friendly fall decoration, try making pine cone pumpkins. Simply gather pine cone pieces and attach them to a foam pumpkin to create a textured and natural-looking pumpkin.
- Dried Hydrangea arrangements: Use dried hydrangeas from your garden to create beautiful and natural fall arrangements. Place them in vases, baskets, or troughs around your home for a simple and elegant touch.
- Fall-themed book page art: Use old book pages to create unique fall decorations. Cut out leaf shapes from the pages and arrange them in a frame or on a wall for a rustic and literary-inspired look.
- Sweater pumpkins: Repurpose old sweaters to create cozy and textured pumpkins for your fall decor. Cut out pumpkin shapes from the sweaters, stuff them with filling, and sew them together for a charming and budget-friendly decoration.
- Pinecone flower wreath: Create a wreath using pinecone pieces arranged in a circular pattern to resemble flowers. Ribbon or twine can be used for hanging, and voila!
- Fall-scented candles: Incorporate fall-inspired scents like pumpkin spice, sandalwood, and amber into your home with candles and diffusers. These fragrances will evoke the warmth and coziness of the season.
- Cozy outdoor seating area: Create a comfortable outdoor seating area by adding blankets and pillows in fall colors and patterns. This will provide a cozy space for you and your guests to enjoy the crisp autumn air.
- Mason jar leaf luminaries: Create beautiful leaf luminaries using mason jars, faux autumn leaves, and LED tea lights. Attach the leaves to the outside of the jars with Mod Podge or similar glue, and place the LED tea lights inside for a warm and inviting glow.
- Burlap table runner: Rustic touches like a burlap table runner are a great choice to add to your dining experience. You can embellish the runner with lace, ribbon, or stenciled fall designs for a personalized and festive look.
- Acorn garland: Collect acorns from your yard or a nearby park and create a charming garland by stringing them together with twine or fishing line. Hang the garland on your mantel, banister, or doorway for a natural and whimsical touch.
- Chalkboard art: Use a chalkboard or a framed piece of black paper to create fall-themed art. Write a favorite fall quote, draw a seasonal design, or create a countdown to Thanksgiving.
- DIY-painted pumpkins: Instead of carving pumpkins, try painting them with fall-inspired designs or patterns. Use acrylic paint to create geometric shapes, floral motifs, or even monograms for a personalized touch.
- Fall leaf bowl: Create a decorative bowl using real or faux fall leaves and a balloon. Inflate the balloon, apply Mod Podge to the leaves, and attach them to the balloon in layers. Once dry, pop the balloon and trim any excess leaf edges to create a unique and festive fall centerpiece.
Celebrate the season in your very own home
Embracing the beauty of autumn doesn’t have to be expensive or time-consuming.
With easy fall home decorating ideas like these, you can transform your living space into a cozy and welcoming haven that captures the essence of the season.
These simple yet effective tips can help you create an inviting atmosphere for your family and friends to enjoy.
Need a new start for autumn?
If your family is outgrowing your current home or if you’d like to refinance your existing mortgage to free up funds, Homefinity is here to assist you every step of the way.
We understand the significance of tailoring your home loan to align perfectly with your individual lifestyle and needs. Rest assured, our team of professionals will expertly guide you through the entire process, ensuring that your house is an affordable home